Air conditioners tend to stay out of sight, out of mind, as long as they work when you need them to. However, this approach can be a costly one, and many breakdowns are preventable with regular maintenance. Now is a great time to ensure your home or business’s air conditioning is operating at peak performance. Here’s what you need to know.
Why You Need to Keep Air Conditioners Clean
- Avoid Costly Repairs – Many of the issues that can damage your air conditioning unit are preventable through regular servicing. Minor problems can usually be resolved inexpensively if detected early.
- Prolong Your Air Conditioner’s Life – It is generally accepted that on average, air conditioner efficiency will degrade approximately 5% per year if regular maintenance (at least annually) is not performed. This effectively means that you will face a repair or replacement decision sooner.
- Reduce Your Energy Bill – A well-maintained air conditioner will operate more efficiently and require less power which will result in a lower cost of operation.
- Evaluate Other Energy Savings Opportunities – While on-site, your Simmark technician can discuss other potential energy-saving ideas with you. For example, LED lighting, more efficient hot water solutions or solar power.
How to Clean Your Air Conditioner
Cleaning your air conditioner isn’t difficult, and after you’ve done it once, the next time will be even quicker and easier. Before you begin, always check the cleaning instructions in the manual that came with your unit. You can usually download a copy online if you no longer have the original.
The main areas that need to be cleaned include:
- Indoor unit dust filters – pop open the plastic cover and remove the filters. You can brush, shake or vacuum them, depending on how dirty they are. If they are really grimy, you can wash them in warm water with a mild soap. They will need to be completely dry before you put them back in the air conditioning unit.
- Indoor unit louvres – wipe down the louvres with a dry cloth or run a vacuum over them. The louvres can be removed from some units for a more thorough clean.
- Outdoor unit – keep grass and plants away from your outdoor unit, and brush away cobwebs and other debris regularly. You can also run a vacuum over the air intake to minimise any dust on the inside.
Hire a Professional: Simmark’s Air Conditioning Services
If you’re short on time, it’s worth considering having your air conditioner maintained by a professional. A Simmark service technician will clean your unit, as well as find and fix any problems.
Our technicians will:
- Clean your air conditioner and check the accuracy of the thermostat
- Check the amount of refrigerant and test for refrigerant leaks
- Check for duct leakage in central systems and seal where required
- Inspect electric terminals and clean and tighten connections
- Replace faulty parts and recommend any further servicing
- Advise you on how to operate your air conditioning unit efficiently.
With winter just around the corner, now is the perfect time to call Simmark to schedule an appointment to service your air conditioner. Not only will you be able to enjoy the benefits of reverse cycle air conditioning during the cooler months, but your unit will be in good working order when summer comes around again!
Is It Time to Replace Your Air Conditioner?
If your air conditioner isn’t blowing cool air or doesn’t seem to run as efficiently as it used to, it might be time to replace it. Read our post on the 7 telltale signs you need to replace your air conditioner for more information. And if you need advice on which new air conditioning system is best for your needs, don’t hesitate to contact the Simmark team. We are a Daikin authorised dealer and install new systems all over the NSW South Coast, including Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral, Batemans Bay and everywhere in between!